Portland Neutering & Spaying
Protecting Your Pet’s Health
In the United States we have a large population of cats and dogs living in shelters due to a lack of willing adopters. This is a heartbreaking statistic for any animal lover and, as such, many pet owners are choosing to neuter or spay their pets to help prevent more animals going without loving homes. Aside from overpopulation, there are plenty of other reasons why you should consider neutering or spaying your pets, including several health benefits.
For more information on our services, call (503) 905-9303 to book an appointment.
Why Should I Have My Pet Neutered & Spayed?
Neutering is the removal of testicles in males and spaying is the removal of the uterus and ovaries in females. The best way to prevent illness or disease is to spay and neuter them at a young age.
Here are a few examples of why we highly recommend this procedure:
- Neutering your male pet before they reach 6 months of age will prevent them from developing testicular cancer. It will also reduce the risk of perianal tumors.
- Spaying your female cat before their first heat will prevent uterine infections and breast cancer, which is fatal in 90% of cats and 50% of dogs.
- Male dogs in particular will go to extreme lengths to find a mate and have been known to dig under fences and escape properties. They also regularly get into fights with other dogs.
- Females in heat can be very noisy and messy as they urinate more often and aren’t too fussy about where they do it! With heat cycles lasting 4/5 days and occurring every 3 weeks during the breeding season, it can be a difficult time. Spayed females will not go into heat and so this problem will be eradicated.
- Un-neutered males also mark their territory by spraying urine and exhibiting bad behavior. Neutering them solves many early aggression problems, helps level their behavior, and brings their focus and attention to their human families. Neutering can also help prevent unwanted behaviors such as humping.
- If you have more than one pet, spaying or neutering can improve the temperament of an animal, meaning that all of your pets are much more likely to get along.
Book Your Appointment Today!
Needless to say, there are so many wonderful advantages that your cats and dogs can receive from this procedure. Neutering or spaying will also benefit the community, as it will reduce the number of animals on the streets, particularly strays that are known to destroy property, raid garbage, attack wildlife, and cause accidents. Plus, if you’re a family raising a litter of animals it can be costly, neutering or spaying is a significantly more inexpensive– and easier – option!
What are you waiting for? Get in touch with our veterinary staff at (503) 905-9303 to get the treatment your pet needs.
Care Built On Integrity and Compassion
Caring For Pets 5 Days a Week
Treating Pets Like Family Since 1953
A Team of Dedicated Professionals